Hello and welcome to my website. I am Dr Dimitra Fimi, lecturer in English and specialist on J.R.R. Tolkien and fantasy literature. I also lecture on science fiction, children’s literature and myth and folklore.
Recent Events and Publications
- December 2014: Presenting the BBC iWonder guide on Tolkien and the Welsh language (see Media)
- March 2015: my work on Tolkien was featured in Anna Smol’s blog
- March 2015: I read an extract from The Lord of the Rings for Tolkien Reading Day 2015 (see Media)
- March 2015: paper for the “Enchanted Edwardians” conference (Edwardian Culture Network and University of Bristol)
- June 2015: Open lecture at the Centre for Lifelong Learning, Cardiff University, on “Welsh heritage for teenagers: Re-writing the ‘Mabinogion’ in Alan Garner’s The Owl Service and Jenny Nimmo’s The Snow Spider“
- July 2015: article for The Conversation: “After 150 years, we still haven’t solved the puzzle of Alice in Wonderland” (see Publications)
- July 2015: I organized two sessions on Tolkien, took part in a rountable discussion, and presented a paper for a session organized by the Tales after Tolkien Society at IMC Leeds.
- August 2015: I reviewed the newspapers for BBC Radio Wales