Hello and welcome to my website. I am Dr Dimitra Fimi, lecturer in English and specialist on J.R.R. Tolkien and fantasy literature. I also lecture on science fiction, children’s literature and myth and folklore.
New monograph out now!
My new monograph, Celtic Myth in Contemporary Children’s Fantasy, has just been published by Palgrave Macmillan, as part of their Critical Approaches to Children’s Literature series. You can buy the e-book or hardcover via the Palgrave website, SpringerLink or Amazon.
Recent Events and Publications
- June 2017: Radio interview for BBC Radio Wales on Tolkien’s Beren and Lúthien – listen here
- May 2017: Selected for the Welsh Crucible research programme
- May 2017: Lecture in Athens on Tolkien’s Elves: “Τα ξωτικά του Τόλκιν: λαογραφία και μυθοπλασία” – video here
- May 2017: Article published in Gramarye, vol. 11: “The ‘Ancient Celtic Year’ in Contemporary Children’s Fantasy”
- April 2017: Tolkien Society award for best book for A Secret Vice: Tokien on Invented Languages – see here
- March 2017: New monograph published: Celtic Myth in Contemporary Children’s Fantasy
- March 2017: Article for the Times Literary Supplement (TLS): “Inventing a Whole Language”
- November 2016: Talk with Dr Andrew Higgins at Pembroke College Oxford, to celebrate the publication of A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, exactly 85 years after Tolkien delivered the talk at Pembroke College.
- October 2016: Lecture on “Hallowe’en in Literature” for the Newport & Gwent Literary Club.
- September 2016: Paper on ‘Tolkien and the Art of Book Reviewing: A Circuitous Road to Middle-earth’ at Oxonmoot 2016, St Anthony’s College, Oxford.
- August 2106: Radio interview for the BBC Radio 4 programme Archive on 4: Tolkien: The Lost Recordings, alongside Dr Stuart Lee and Professor Tom Shippey.
- July 2016: Paper on ‘”Tears are the very wine of blessedness”: joyful sorrow in J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings‘ for the Tolkien Society Seminar, Leeds. Also, I moderated sessions on Tolkien I organized for the International Medieval Congress 2016 at Leeds. See blog post on both events.