Hello and welcome to my website. I am Dr Dimitra Fimi, lecturer in English and specialist on J.R.R. Tolkien and fantasy literature. I also lecture on science fiction, children’s literature and myth and folklore.
Recent Events and Publications
- May 2016: Paper on ‘Irishness, Folklore and Modernity in Kate Thompson’s The New Policeman‘ for Fantasies of Contemporary Culture symposium at Cardiff University
- May 2016: Paper on ‘Tolkien and Radical Linguistic Experimentation’ for the “Tolkien at Kalamazoo” sessions at the International Congress on Medieval Studies at Kalamazoo, Michigan
- April 2016: publication of J.R.R. Tolkien’s A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins. London: HarperCollins. See under Publications and Blog for reviews, interviews, etc.
- December 2015: contributions to the BBC Radio Wales Arts Show special on “Celebrating Alice”, on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the publication of Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (see Media)
- October 2015: talk for event on Tolkien’s Legacy in Oxford, organized by The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities and the Bodleian Library (see Presentations)