Hello and welcome to my website. I am Dr Dimitra Fimi, lecturer in English and specialist on J.R.R. Tolkien and fantasy literature. I also lecture on science fiction, children’s literature and myth and folklore.
BBC Radio Wales Arts Show: Celebrating Alice
On the 150th anniversary of the publication of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a celebration of Alice in sound and vision, on stage and screen and through apps and archives.
You can hear the trailer here:
Recent Events and Publications
- December 2014: Presenting the BBC iWonder guide on Tolkien and the Welsh language (see Media)
- June 2015: Open lecture at the Centre for Lifelong Learning, Cardiff University, on “Welsh heritage for teenagers: Re-writing the ‘Mabinogion’ in Alan Garner’s The Owl Service and Jenny Nimmo’s The Snow Spider“
- July 2015: article for The Conversation: “After 150 years, we still haven’t solved the puzzle of Alice in Wonderland” (see Publications)
- July 2015: I organized two sessions on Tolkien, took part in a rountable discussion, and presented a paper for a session organized by the Tales after Tolkien Society at IMC Leeds.
- September 2015: lecture on “Constructions of Childhood in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Legendarium” at Oxonmoot, the Tolkien Society’s annual gathering in Oxford.
- October 2015: talk for event on Tolkien’s Legacy in Oxford, organized by The Oxford Research Centre in the Humanities and the Bodleian Library